DESIRE AND TEMPTATION
Xia hates witches. They enslave and mercilessly kill his kind. But he's been ordered to protect Alexandrine, who, to his surprise, has a spirit he admires and a body he longs to possess. With the mage and his henchmen closing in, Alexandrine and her protector must trust the passion that can unite them...or risk losing everything to the enemies who can destroy them both.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Carolyn has been writing stories ever since she could scribble. Now that she's grown up (mostly) she writes historical and paranormal romance because she loves history and imagining the lives of people who lived in years past, and because she's fascinated by the loves and travails of the not-exactly-human in any time period. Carolyn lives in Northern California with her son, three cats, a border collie, several chickens, some sheep and various strays and other rescued critters. Ms. Jewel is also a Microsoft SQL Server Database Administrator who specializes in, uhm, administering MS SQL Server databases. It's not nearly as exciting as writing. She loves to hear from readers, so don't hesitate to email!
1. The 1968 Chevy pickup Xia drives (first introduced in My Wicked Enemy) is based on a car that belonged to my father. My father is a physician, now retired, who made house calls throughout his career. He would also check in on elderly neighbors from time to time. He often took his beloved dog, Duncan, with him when he made these visits. One of these elderly patients left Duncan (yes, the dog) his 1968 Chevy pickup which my father obligingly drove for Duncan for many years. One of the side view mirrors was held on with a shoelace and bailing wire and he kept a block of wood in the cab to stick behind the tire because the brakes weren’t reliable.
2. The house in Sausalito is based on a description of a house a friend of mine was lucky enough to stay in for a bit. I made up the black bathroom, but not the views.
3. The description of the alternate route to the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge comes from my experience getting from San Francisco to Berkeley the night of the Loma Prieta earthquake. At the time, I worked in San Francisco and lived in Berkeley and took the bus into the city and back. BART was shut down and approaches to the Bay Bridge were closed due to freeway collapses. The only open bridges were the Golden Gate Bridge and the Richmond Bridge, but, of course, that’s a mighty long walk. In short, it looked like I was going to spend the night on the street or until whenever public transportation was back. I ended up getting a ride in a car driven by a woman heading to the East Bay who had room for one more person. I happened to have a prime spot on the curb where she stopped to look for one more passenger. It’s been my experience that in a disaster people are kind and actively looking to help. She didn’t have to take anyone, but she loaded up her car with as many people as she had room for. She’d once been a cab driver in the City (San Francisco) and she knew all the alternate routes that got us around the closed and destroyed streets and onto the Golden Gate Bridge and then along this unknown-to-me route to the Richmond Bridge and, at last, home.
4. The jaguar talisman comes more or less directly from a picture of an ancient artifact I ran across on the net, slightly altered for the purposes of my story.
5. The house in Tiburon is based on a spectacular house in Tiburon that was, among other things, once on the cover of Architectural Digest and also once owned by one of the members of the band Metallica. Under circumstances I am not at liberty to disclose, I learned many, many details about the interior of the house, many of which I used without the need for embellishment because, really, when a house is worth millions of dollars, there’s generally not much embellishment needed.
New Feature Box - Main site, blank 65359
HACHETTE BOOK GROUP,
I HAVE 5 COPIES OF THIS
BOOK TO GIVE AWAY.
FOLLOW REALLY SIMPLE RULES AND ONE
OF THEM COULD BE YOURS!
--U.S. AND CANADIAN RESIDENTS ONLY
--NO P.O. BOXES PLEASE
--YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS MUST BE IN
YOUR ENTRY SO I CAN FIND YOU
--ALL ENTRIES MUST BE IN SEPARATE
COMMENTS IN ORDER TO COUNT
BE SURE AND ENTER BY
6 PM, EST, JULY 9