Thursday, September 17, 2009

THE WORLD ACCORDING TO TWITTER: AUTHOR ARTICLE and REVIEW

THE WORLD ACCORDING TO TWITTER

"Compose the subject line of an email message you really,

really don’t want to read"

by David Pogue

Author of The World According to Twitter



That is what David Pogue asked, and here is some of what he got back:

To my former sexual partners, as required by law -- @markowitz

Re: What seems to have been your car -- @pumpkinshirt

From: eHarmony. Subject: Your profile has been rejected. -- @jadawa

I hate to do this via email . . . -- @SusanEJacobsen

Fwd:Fwd:Fwd:Fw:Catz! lol -- @danblondell

What happened in Vegas did NOT stay in Vegas -- @jschechner

Your Dad is Now Following You on Twitter. -- @CathleenRitt

From: Your Doctor. Subj: Good news, bad news . . . -- @Baszma

Urgent notice to everyone who was at the hot tub party last Saturday! -- @lavasusan

From: AT&T. Subject: Your international roaming charges -- @kvijayraghavan

Hi! Remember me? I’m in town!! -- @Stefaniya

Error in lab results -- @ricksva

From: NIH. Subj: Important new information on link between computer usage and rapid-onset dementia

Honey, you saved those tax papers from 1978, right? -- @pumpkinshirt

From: Yale Office of Admissions. File Size: 2K -- @perryan

We need to talk. Call me. -- @_not_THAT_guy

From: Your Petsitter. Subject: Before you open the door when you get home . . . -- @brianwolven

From: Your Publisher. Subject: Ha, good one! Could you send the real chapter now, please? -- @Lookshelves

Your GM common stock -- @scottmarkarian

Did you mean to hit Reply to All? -- @Maggie_Dwyer

From: Your eldest kid. Subject: How do you get chocolate sauce out of the sofa? -- @aymroos

The above is an excerpt from the book The World According to Twitter by David Pogue. The above excerpt is a digitally scanned reproduction of text from print. Although this excerpt has been proofread, occasional errors may appear due to the scanning process. Please refer to the finished book for accuracy. Copyright © 2009 David Pogue, author of The World According to Twitter
Author "Bio"
David Pogue, author of The World According to Twitter, is the weekly tech columnsit for the New York Times, an Emmy-winning correspondent forCBS News Sunday Morning, and contributor of funny, weekly tech videos for CNBC. He's the author or co-author of 50 books, including 6 in the For Dummies line and 25 in the Missing Manual series, which he created. He lives in Connecticut with his wife and three children.

Join Pogue's world at his website: www.davidpogue.com; at Twitter: @pogue; or at his blog: www.nytimes.com/pogue.
MY REVIEW

What a tweet, er, I mean treat this book is. I belong to Twitter but to be honest with you, knew very little about it until I read this book. It gave me a much better view of what Tweeting is all about. And while I learned a little, I laughed a lot. The book is divided into side splitting silly stuff! David Pogue, thanks to his wife's idea, asked people to answer a question one time at a program and the ball got rolling. With thousands of entrants, people poured their hearts out in 140 characters to tell their favorite tweets. WAIT! Let me back up to who I used to be (twitterly clueless) to explain for those of you who don't know. When you say something on Twitter, you can only write 140 characters---those mean each letter, space, number, etc. is a character. So for instance..."the dog is nice" has 15 characters including spaces...see?

So then Pogue took all the ones he liked the best (I believe about 2524) and divided them up into like categories even including recipes..yes, recipes in 140 characters and the result is this hilarious book. Many you will read and shake your head in agreement of 'been there, done that' and others will make you blush (perhaps). But the majority are just plain funny. Being a little competitive myself, I found some of the questions he asked and then tried to make up what I would have answered. Some of the questions were things like:

What cool anagram can you make from the letters of your own name?
What made your first kiss memorable? and what I think is one of my favorites and appropriate to close this review with is ..."Write a brilliantly gripping first line of a new novel"---------- go ahead---try!

...here is one that one of you may be reading very soon...as I announce my BBAW Giveaway Winner tonight...from Dan Brown's THE LOST SYMBOL, "The secret is how to die. Since the beginning of time, the secret had always been how to die." ah...but that's not even 140 characters, more like somewhere around 93....by the way, for those of you non-tweeters (like I'm the big expert now), Twitter counts your symbols as you write so you don't have to do the tedious eye-straining job I just tried to do with that sentence. So on that note, if you aren't the winner of this great book and THE LOST SYMBOL and goodies, run out and get a copy for just a good time..it's a real ice breaker at parties!

1 comments:

Libby's Library said...

I'm going to have to get my hands on this book. I've had a Twitter account for months, and can't figure out how to get into it, because I had to change my password, and now I don't know how to get back in:-(

CLICK HERE TO
SEE MY POLICY