Thursday, November 12, 2009

THE HISTORIAN: REVIEW and WINNERS

[historian.<span class=
THE HISTORIAN
by Elizabeth Kostova

MY REVIEW:

Patience was tested when I saw the length of this book, and not having quite gotten on the vampire bandwagon as yet, I almost put this book aside which would have been quite unfair...so thinking better of it, I gave it a chance. A chance that resulted for me in a long read, but a worthwhile read as this is a book that did draw me in and make me want to keep with it despite the length. By the end of THE HISTORIAN, I was a little surprised to realize it really was a long book with small print because in being caught up by Kostova's excellently researched but finely written narration, I didn't think it took much time to read at all. That said, do not let it scare you off. Yes, I did also hear it was somewhat like a vampire Divinci Code so that helped but I guess any book now that deals in a mystery based on some historical background and includes puzzles or codes will all be so labeled that way.

THE HISTORIAN can be perceived as several stories which however do interweave to create one glorious novel. There are basically three time periods in this story that is told by an unnamed narrator through letters and documents. This did remind me of one of the few vampire books I had read by Bram Stoker...for if you read only one Dracula story, Stoker's would probably have been it. Now add to it this novel and you will be quite satisfied with your vampire "education".

When an old book and set of old, faded, yellowing letters addressed to "My dear and unfortunate successor" are found by a young woman who loves history anyway, the story begins. This sets her on an adventure into the secrets of her father's past that connect him to a world that is a secret that even history doesn't reflect as yet. The letters give clues to the truth about Vlad the Impaler, who ruled during medieval times when his reign on Walachia was the basis for the legend of Dracula. But one asks, is it really only a legend?

The young lady follows her father's past through the stories and letters as he left on a mission to find his long lost wife. The settings of Eastern Europe are so beautifully described by the author that not only do you feel like you have been there, but you learn so much factual background as well. However, the main setting for most of the story is dusty libraries and archives because so much of the research on Dracula is done through books. With historical facts as background, the story is again made realistic to the point that you start to question how much is fact and how much is fiction?

She learns his travels took him through Istanbul, Budapest, and Eastern Europe as she follows the clues in the letters. The letters give way to secrets of the truth about Vlad the Impaler and his treacherous, dark reign of power. A novel of romance, history, horror, and fantasy, THE HISTORIAN is an unforgettable story.

I hope you all get a chance at this book as it is amazing!

GIVEAWAY WINNERS

THANKS TO VALERIE AND THE
HACHETTE BOOK GROUP, I HAVE
5 COPIES OF THIS AMAZING BOOK
TO GIVE AWAY.
The winners have been emailed
and must respond with their
info by noon, November 15


AND THE WINNERS ARE....

#43 Sandra K321

#28 rkgcc

#7 Bethie

#46 Deedles

#6 fredamans

CONGRATULATIONS!

6 comments:

D Q said...

Thanks so much! I can't wait to read this.

g.g. said...

Congrats to all the winners..sounds like a good book!

anjamie4 (at)gmail (dot) com

fredamans said...

THANK YOU!!!

Congrats other winners!

bermudaonion said...

So glad you loved the book! Congratulations to the winners!

holdenj said...

Congrats to everyone-it looks great!

Unknown said...

Your review has me putting The Historian back on my TBR. I've gotten it twice from the library and never cracked it open. I had plenty of others to read and ended up having to return it both times. I figured that meant I just really didn't want to read it. I'm not on the vampire bandwagon at all, but I do love stories told through journals/documents that have a little mystery and research to them.

CLICK HERE TO
SEE MY POLICY